Research interests include the etiology, diagnosis, and assessment of substance use disorders.
11. Boness, C.L., Korucuoglu, O., Ellingson, J.M., Merrill, A.M., McDowell, Y.E., Trela, C.J., Sher, K.J., Piasecki, T.M., & Kerns, J.G. (in press). Twenty-first birthday drinking: Extreme drinking episodes result in white matter microstructural changes to the fornix and corpus callosum. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.
10. Younggren, J.N., Boness, C.L., Bryant, L., & Koocher, G. (2019). Emotional support animal assessments: Toward a standard and comprehensive model for mental health professionals. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice.
9. Conlin, W., & Boness, C.L. (2019). Ethical considerations for addressing distorted beliefs in psychotherapy. Psychotherapy.
8. Boness, C.L., Lane, S.P., & Sher, K.J. (2019). Not all alcohol use disorder criteria are equally severe: Towards severity grading of individual criteria. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. PMCID: PMC6494471
7. Stevens, J.E., Steinley, D., McDowell, Y.E., Boness, C.L., Trull, T., Martin, C.S., & Sher, K.J. (2019). Toward more efficient diagnostic criteria sets and rules: The use of optimization approaches in addiction science. Addictive Behaviors. PMCID: PMC6544486
6. Boness, C.L., Stevens, J.E., Steinley, D., Trull, T., & Sher, K.J. (2018). Deriving alternative criteria sets for alcohol use disorders using statistical optimization: Results from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. PMCID: PMC6538450
5. Boness, C.L., Younggren, J.N., & Frumkin, B. (2017). The certification of emotional support animals: Differences between clinical and forensic practitioners. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48, 216-223.
4. Lee, M.R., Boness, C.L., McDowell, Y.E., Vergés, A., Steinley, D.L., & Sher, K.J. (2017). Desistance and severity of alcohol use disorder: A lifespan-developmental analysis. Clinical Psychological Science, 6, 90-105. PMCID: PMC5766269
3. Boness, C.L., Lane, S.P., & Sher, K.J. (2016). Assessment of withdrawal and hangover are confounded in the Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Interview Schedule: Withdrawal prevalence is likely inflated. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 40, 1691-1699. PMCID: PMC4961561
2. Younggren, J.N., Boisvert, J.A., & Boness, C.L. (2016). Examining emotional support animals and role conflicts in professional psychology. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 47, 255-260. PMCID: PMC5127627
1. Boness, C. L. (2015). Treatment of Deaf clients: Ethical considerations for professionals in psychology. Ethics & Behavior, 26, 562-585. PMCID: PMC5127625