To receive a minor in psychology an undergraduate student must complete the following coursework:
- Psychology 1000: General Psychology (3 hours)
- Four more psychology courses (minimum of 12 hours)
- At least two of the four courses (at least 6 of the 12 hours)
must be 3000- or 4000-level regularly-scheduled on-campus
courses OR online courses. "Regularly-scheduled" courses
include all on-campus AND online 3000- and 4000-level
psychology courses EXCEPT for Psych 4940/4950/4960/4976W/4976HW and
- A minimum of 15 credit hours is required for the psychology
- To earn the psychology minor, students must have at least a
2.00 GPA in the required courses. Students must receive a grade
of "C" or better in all courses required for the minor. Grades
of "C-" will not be accepted. Pass/fail graded courses will not
be accepted except for approved study abroad coursework.
- A total of 6 hours of transfer credit will be accepted toward the minor. Note: Psych 1000 AP credit is counted as transfer credit.
- A&S majors cannot "double count" psychology minor coursework toward other A&S minor and/or major requirements. Minor coursework cannot also be used in the Foreign Language Alternative.
- Students can count applicable psychology minor coursework to meet general/education foundation requirements.
- A minor must be completed and awarded at the same time as the MU undergraduate degree - minors cannot be claimed after graduation. Once a psychology minor is awarded, a student cannot return to MU to complete a second undergraduate major in psychology. Students cannot earn a major and a minor in psychology.
COMPLETING THE MINOR FORM:
- Only students who have completed at least three psychology courses (at least 9 credit hours) may fill out the minor paperwork. Students who have at least 9 hours of psychology completed can fill out the top section of the minor form, then drop the form off at 203 McAlester Hall anytime between 9am and 4pm. As soon as possible, a psychology advisor will sign the form, and contact the student to let them know the signed form is ready to be picked up. Students can complete the minor form at any time before graduation -- the remaining two courses (6 credit hours) do NOT have to be completed before a student can turn in the minor form.
- Once a student picks up the minor form from our office, she or he must take the signed form to the A&S Advisement Center in 107 Lowry Hall to officially file the minor.
- If a student completes different courses than those noted on the minor form, she or he does NOT need to complete a second minor form; at graduation the course changes will be noted on the original form turned in to A&S. Students do NOT need to contact our office if they take different courses toward the minor unless they need help confirming the course(s) will count toward the minor requirements.