Undergraduate Addiction Studies Certificate

Addiction is a chronic disease that is treatable and can be successfully managed. However, research is needed to understand its causes and to investiage new treatments to help those with addiction. 

Students can explore this important field through coursework in psychology, social work, sociology and medical pharmacology.  Then, these courses can be brought together to earn the Addiction Studies Certificate.  This transcripted certificate allows students to demonstrate their training at Mizzou to employers and graduate & medical programs. 

The Addiction Studies Certificate will help prepare students to find many jobs within the health and counseling sectors immediately after graduation. Students with a bachelor’s degree and an addiction certificate can find employment in many work settings, including mental health centers, schools, and prisons. Specific jobs include caseworkers in substance abuse treatment clinics or aides in community mental health centers. Job prospects for occupations involved in treating and preventing substance abuse are projected to grow by 22% in 2014-2024 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015)..  

What are the requirements for the Addictions Studies Certificate?

To receive a Certificate in Addiction Studies, an undergraduate student must complete 12 credit hours of approved coursework. 

  • All certificate coursework must be completed at the University of Missouri – Columbia.
  • At least 6 of the 12 credit hours must be 3000-level or above. 
  • A maximum of 9 credit hours from any department may be applied to the 12 credit hour requirement.
  • Certificate course grades must be C- or better.
  • A maximum of 3 pre-approved credit hours may be in Special Problems/Research, Readings or Internship coursework.  Students must demonstrate the experiential learning is related to addiction studies.

I'm not earning my degree in Psychology, can I still earn the Certificate?

Yes!  Any undergraduate student is eligible to receive a certificate in Addiction Studies.

What are the approved courses for the Certificate?

  1. Introduction to Addiction Science (PSYCH-2520) is required.
  2. Either Drugs & Behavior (PSYCH-2220) or Drugs & Society (SOCIOL-4620) is required.  While either PSYCH-2220 or SOCIOL-4620 is a required course, students may take both courses to count toward certificate. One will count as the required course and one can count as an elective.
  3. Two additional courses from the approved course list below.

Updated 7/1/22

ESC_PS 4185

Health Behavior: Drug and Sexuality Education

HS 2400

Contemporary Health Issues

HS 2600

Principles of Rehabilitation for the Preprofessional

HS 2850

Inclusion and Equity in Health Care

HS 3100

Health Care in Missouri

HS 4300

Health Care in the US

MPP 2010

Science of Sex, Drugs, and Rock ’n’ Roll

MPP 4204

Medical Pharmacology

PSYCH 2110

Learning, Memory, and Cognition

PSYCH 2210

Mind, Brain, and Behavior

PSYCH 2510

Survey of Psychopathology 

PSYCH 3830

Health Psychology

PSYCH 4210

Physiological Psychology

PSYCH 4250

Behavioral Genetics

PSYCH 4580

Externalizing Spectrum Disorders

SOC_WK 4330

Addiction Treatment and Prevention

SOC_WK 4370

Delinquency, Corrections and Social Treatment

SOC_WK 4390

Helping Strategies with Children and Adolescents

SOC_WK 4400

Domestic Violence


Social Deviance


Youth in Today’s World


Sociology of Health




Sociology of Mental Health

WGST 2050

Gender Perspectives: Issues in Public Health

WGST 4600

Studies in Women and Health


I graduated already, can I get the Certificate?

A certificate must be completed and awarded at the same time as the MU undergraduate degree – certificates cannot be claimed after graduation.

I completed the coursework.  How do I claim my Certificate?

To officially declare your Certificate go to this link.

You will receive confirmation after you complete the online form.  Once you have received confirmation, you can check your progress toward the certificate by running a degree audit at this link.  


Can I do research in addictions and apply it to my Certificate?

Yes. A maximum of three credit hours may be in Special Problems/Research, Readings or Internship coursework. Students must demonstrate the experiential learning is related to addiction science. Email Dr. Dennis Miller, Director of Undergraduate Studies to request approval..

Who should I contact with questions about the Certificate?

Please direct questions to Dr. Dennis Miller in Psychological Sciences.

Clark Oelrichs Research

Many students in Psychological Sciences conduct research projects in drug addiction. Clark Oelrichs presented his research on methamphetamine's neural mechanisms at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association.