Wellness Resource Committee
The Department Wellness Committee coordinates with the university, college, department, faculty, staff and student groups to promote and support the health and wellbeing of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Our mission is to serve as a department resource to promote psychological, emotional, and physical wellbeing among department members, with a primary focus on graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. The information below is geared towards resources that are available during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Quick Access to University and Community Supports:
- Basic Needs (e.g., housing, utilities, childcare)
- MU Students can refer to the Student Life section of the MU Graduate School website for information on housing on- and off-campus, transportation, area schools, healthcare, faith communities, and a wide range of city resources and community activities.
- For basic needs (e.g., housing, food, utilities, employment, childcare) during COVID-19, please check Columbia/Boone County Public Health and Human Services for the most current, up-to-date supports in our area. You can also call 2-1-1 or 1-800-427-4626 (TTY 1-866-385-6525) or go online to United Way wherever you are currently located in order to access services in your area.
- Medical Care:
- If you need emergency medical care, please call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest emergency department: University Hospital, Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Boone Hospital.
- MU Students can refer to the Student Medical Insurance section of the MU Graduate School website for information on health insurance. A full range of healthcare, including primary care, behavioral health, psychiatry and other specialized care, is offered by MU’s Student Health Center. Students can call 573-882-9107 for questions about the insurance policy and specific areas of coverage.
- Mental Healthcare:
- If you or someone you know is having a mental health crisis or thoughts of suicide, call the 24/7 Crisis Hotline 1-800-395-2132
- To search for area counselors and therapists accepting new clients during COVID-19, please refer to https://bocomoproviders.org/
- Enrolled MU Students can access a range of behavioral health supports, including counseling and psychiatric medication, from MU’s Student Health Center.
- Adults seeking mental health services can also directly call Burrell Behavioral Health Assessment Center at 573-777-8455 (24/7 crisis line 1-800-395-2132) or Compass Health Network - Behavioral Health Services at 844-853-8937 (M-F 7am-7pm immediate access hotline 888-237-4567; para Espanol 636-445-7177) to inquire and initiate services.
- Parents and caregivers of youths age 0-19 years can call Family Access Center of Excellence (FACE) of Boone County at 573-771-3223. FACE can connect any family living in Boone County to any needed supports during COVID-19, including basic needs, medical care, mental health services, and supportive therapy for managing stress related to COVID-19. All services provided by FACE are FREE.
- Student Supports for Teaching, Learning and Research:
- The UM System has resources to help you continue your teaching and degree completion during COVID-19 at https://keeplearning.umsystem.edu/support/home.
- Teaching resources for instructors and teaching assistants are available on Canvas pages from the department (https://missouri.instructure.com/enroll/L7AEB8 ) and college (https://missouri.instructure.com/enroll/DDGL39).
- APA is providing numerous, regularly updated resources available for psychologists to support teaching, research, clinical practice and personal wellbeing at their website: https://www.apa.org/topics/covid-19
- Self-Care and Connection:
- Our department has several resources posted: Psych Sciences COVID-19 Resources.
- Students, faculty and staff can also join Mindful Wednesdays via ZOOM every Wednesday at 1pm for 30 minutes of guided meditation, teaching on mindfulness, and an opportunity to share or ask questions. This is a time to connect with other members of the Psychological Sciences community while campus is closed. NO prior experience necessary. Check out Psych Sciences Facebook for more details.