The Department Wellness Committee coordinates with the university, college, department, faculty, staff and student groups to promote and support the health and wellbeing of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Our mission is to serve as a department resource to promote psychological, emotional, and physical wellbeing among department members, with a primary focus on graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. The information below is geared towards resources that are available during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Quick Access to University and Community Supports:

Basic Needs (e.g., housing, utilities, childcare)

  • MU Students can refer to the Student Life section of the MU Graduate School website for information on housing on- and off-campus, transportation, area schools, healthcare, faith communities, and a wide range of city resources and community activities.
  • For basic needs (e.g., housing, food, utilities, employment, childcare) during COVID-19, please check Columbia/Boone County Public Health and Human Services for the most current, up-to-date supports in our area. You can also call 2-1-1 or 1-800-427-4626 (TTY 1-866-385-6525) or go online to United Way wherever you are currently located in order to access services in your area.
  • Students who are a part of households supported solely by the graduate stipend may be eligible for reduced internet services through the Affordable Connectivity Program. Households with a gross annual income that is 200% or less of federal poverty guidelines (e.g., $27,180 or less for one person) are eligible. A household is defined as any group of people who live together and share money (if you and other members of your household are supported by additional financial income that exceeds the amount listed for your household size, you may not be eligible). The details are unclear about whether individuals who live together and share expenses, but don’t share money (e.g., roommates) would count as a household, however, based on the information here, you may still qualify if you are living with other adults but do not share your incomes.  

    Some internet services are participating in this program, but some may not. Mediacom is currently participating, but if you are utilizing another service, you may want to call your provider to see if they are participating.  

    Individuals who are interested in learning more or applying for this program can do so here: 

Medical Care

  • If you need emergency medical care, please call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest emergency department: University HospitalWomen’s and Children’s HospitalBoone Hospital.
  • MU Students can refer to the Student Medical Insurance section of the MU Graduate School website for information on health insurance. A full range of healthcare, including primary care, behavioral health, psychiatry and other specialized care, is offered by MU’s Student Health Center. Students can call 573-882-9107 for questions about the insurance policy and specific areas of coverage.
  • MU provides routinely updated information and resources related to COVID-19, including symptoms, case counts, vaccination clinics, testing sites and how to get tested, mask guidance and where to find masks on their Show-Me Renewal website: Show Me Renewal (

Mental Healthcare

  • If you or someone you know is having a mental health crisis or thoughts of suicide, call the 24/7 Crisis Hotline 1-800-395-2132
  • Student Health & Well-Being provides a network of care and services to MU students through the Counseling Center, Student Health Center and Wellness Resource Center.
    • The Student Health Center offers primary medical care with behavioral health consultations and psychiatric services. Call 573-882-7481 to make an appointment, ask questions about a medication or treatment, or speak with a registered nurse 24/7
    • The Counseling Center offers individual therapy and group therapy options to students. Call 573-882-6601 to learn more
    • The Wellness Resource Center provides tips, resources and tools for students. It is on the ground level of the MU Student Center
    • MU’s Student Health Center, Counseling Center, and Psychological Services Clinic are staffed by graduate students or counselors from our Department or from the Department of Educational, School, and Counseling Psychology, with whom our students have relationships, training experiences, and/or shared coursework. Thus, some students may prefer to receive services elsewhere
  • MU students may also receive services through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The EAP is not affiliated with the Psychological Sciences Department. The EAP offers free counseling with linkage to additional resources as needed though UM System’s Optum Live and Work Well (866-248-4094) and through MU’s EAP (573-882-2146). For more information, please check the EAP website:
    • Is the EAP confidential?
      • Yes! The limits to privacy and confidentiality are similar to other behavioral health practices. One limit that is unique to the EAP is the case of an employee that is referred to the EAP by their employer. In such cases, the employee may be asked to sign a release of information form to disclose their name and the dates and times they were in therapy. However, please note that this is an exception and that you would be notified of this release of information.
  • For additional mental healthcare providers without professional overlap with MU Department of Psychology clinical students or faculty, see the attached resource sheet.
  • The Care Team provides one-on-one support including advocacy, referrals, interventions, and follow-up services for MU students who are experiencing significant difficulties related to mental health, physical health, personal and family emergencies, financial issues, or other areas of concern. The Care Team also is available to consult with staff, faculty, friends and families.
  • Any Columbia area adult seeking mental health services can also call Burrell Behavioral Health Assessment Center at 573-777-8455 (24/7 crisis line 1-800-395-2132) or Compass Health Network - Behavioral Health Services at 844-853-8937 (M-F 7am-7pm immediate access hotline 888-237-4567; para Espanol 636-445-7177) to inquire and initiate services. Both Burrell Behavioral Health and Compass Health Network accept Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
  • Any Columbia area parent/caregiver can call Family Access Center of Excellence (FACE) of Boone County at 573-771-3223. FACE can connect any Boone County family with a child 0-19 years to any needed supports, including basic needs, medical care, mental health services, and supportive therapy for managing stress. All services provided by FACE are FREE.
  • Students may also find additional providers by visiting the Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield website at:
    • You may log in or select “Guest” to browse the directory. If you select “Guest,” you will need to fill in the relevant drop down menus.
    • What type of care are you looking for?” select “Medical”
    • What state do you want to search with?” select “Missouri”
    • What type of plan do you want to search with?” select “Medical (Individual & Families)”
    • Select a plan/network” select “Blue Access Choice - S”
    • From here you should be able to specify your zip code and choose to browse behavioral health providers.

Self-Care and Connection:

  • MU has many events for self-care and social connection provided by Stuff to Do at MU on FB at or on Twitter at
  • Our department also co-sponsors the Healing from Racial Injustices group which meets weekly at the Multicultural Center. The purpose of this group is to provide a space for people of color to: Process violence against people of color; Validate and affirm one another; Process race-related macro and microaggressions; Heal as a community. This group has been run every semester since 2015.
  • Students, faculty and staff can also join Mindful Wednesdays via ZOOM every Wednesday at 1pm for 30 minutes of guided meditation, teaching on mindfulness, and an opportunity to share or ask questions. This is a time to connect with other members of the Psychological Sciences community while campus is closed. NO prior experience necessary. Check out Psych Sciences Facebook for more details.

Teaching, Learning and Research:

  • APA provides numerous, regularly updated resources available for psychologists to support teaching, research, clinical practice and personal wellbeing at their website:
  • Faculty Mentors for Undergraduate, Graduate and Postdoctoral Scholars:
    • Students with Disabilities: Lisa Bauer
    • LGBTQ+ Students: Laura King
    • Gender Issues: Victoria Shaffer
    • International Students: Lisa Flores
    • BIPOC Students: Donte Bernard
    • First-generation College Students: Lisa Flores

Additional Funding Opportunities for Graduate Students:

  • MU graduate students can refer to the Graduate School’s website for Funding Sources for Graduate Education for information on scholarships to help fund graduate education. 
  • Travel opportunities are available for MU students to assist with travel related costs for attending a professional scientific conference. Travel awards may be used for professional development and/or presenting at national or international conferences. MU Psychology graduate students can refer to the Department Travel Award and the Graduate Professional Council travel awards/scholarships via Canvas.
  • There are several graduate awards that MU graduate students can apply for. Awardees may be granted a monetary prize or scholarship for select awards. MU graduate students can refer to the Graduate School website for Graduate Awards regarding specific information for each award and deadlines for submissions.
  • MU’s Research, Innovation & Impact website for Finding Funding provides information for funding opportunities and resources.
  • Graduate and post-doctoral students can apply for external funding opportunities. The Graduate School has a list of External Funding Opportunities. Graduate School also honors Graduate Students of Distinction that secure external funding.